Friday, February 18, 2011

Being a Disciple of Jesus Christ

What does it mean to be a disciple of Jesus Christ?

After reading about Mary and Martha (Luke 10:38-42), I belive being a disciple of Christ is putting the Lord first and foremost in your life.



In this story, Martha is trying to do all the serving while her sister Mary sat at Jesus' feet hearing his word, and Martha asks Christ, " ...dost thou not care that my sister hath left me to serve alone?" And his reply to her is, "Martha, Martha, thou art careful and troubled about many things: But one thing is needful: And Mary hath chosen that good part, which shall not be taken away from her." I know that I get caught up in what I need to do for the day, and I often don't take the time to do what is needful for myself. Dishes and laundry will never be done, and will always be there, but the time that I need for myself in reading the scriptures and studying the Lord's word will be lost if I don't take advantage of it. I know that I need the gospel in my life, and things like conference talks, and the scriptures help to keep my focus on what is really important and gives me that extra boost I know that I need for the day.

Other ways of being a disciple of Christ:

1-You seek to be taught. You seek the Lord and ask for help when you need it.

I wanted to share an interesting insight on asking:

Luke 11:5–13 . The Parable of the Friend at Midnight

“The parable is regarded by some as a difficult one to apply, since it deals with the selfish and comfort-loving element of human nature, and apparently uses this to symbolize God’s deliberate delay. The explanation, however, is clear when the context is duly considered. The Lord’s lesson was, that if man, with all his selfishness and disinclination to give, will nevertheless grant what his neighbor with proper purpose asks and continues to ask in spite of objection and temporary refusal, with assured certainty will God grant what is persistently asked in faith and with righteous intent. No parallelism lies between man’s selfish refusal and God’s wise and beneficent waiting. There must be a consciousness of real need for prayer, and real trust in God, to make prayer effective; and in mercy the Father sometimes delays the granting that the asking may be more fervent. But in the words of Jesus: ‘If ye then, being evil, know how to give good gifts unto your children: how much more shall your heavenly Father give the Holy Spirit to them that ask him?’”

2. You enrich your spiritual life more than your worldly life.

3.You seek after the kingdom of God first and let your heart be there also.

4.You seek to be ready and watch for the Lord's coming.

5. You strive to enter the straight and narrow gate. You are willing to lay down your life for the Lord's sake. "for many, I say unto you, will seek to enter in, and shall not be able." (Luke 13:24)





Time and time again, the Savior tells the disciples that he will die, and leave them for a time only to return again. When I look at this picture I think of how it was so hard for them to understand. How could one overcome death? These are men that followed Christ throughout his ministry seeing him heal the blind, lame, sick, and dead. They saw miracles happen right before their eyes! They knew that he was the Son of God, yet it was still hard for them to really understand and believe all that Christ taught them. How many times in our lives do we have confirmation knowing that the church is true, yet at times it is still hard to understand the things yet to come? I struggle daily to keep the Savior first and foremost in my life. It is so easy to get caught up in the world. After reading more about become a disciple, I realize, I have a long way to go! But-I know that by putting the Lord first in my life, I can get a a little bit closer to becoming a disciple of him.

No comments:

Post a Comment